Friday, September 18, 2009

INQ Mobile Set On Befriending The Socially Mobile

The first thing that gets your attention about the new INQ Mobile Mini (Launching in Singapore this Saturday, 19 September 2009), is the quirky design of the packaging.

It’s promising, as a relative newcomer into the mobile phone market, INQ Mobile sets to redefine what it means to be socially mobile, by integrating one click access from your mobile phone, to the social web. The unorthodox and eye-catching marketing makes it clear who they’re trying to target, the vibrant, connected and exciting.

After the INQ Mobile blogger event on Monday night at Supperclub, I was loaned an INQ Mobile Mini to try out for a couple of days. Now, I happen to be an iPhone user, so I’m sort of pampered when it comes to ‘one-touch’ connectivity, plus, it’s been awhile since I used a phone that had real number pads. However, it’s like riding a bike, the interface is reminiscent of any Nokia phone, and with the ’switcher’, and handy dial, it was a breeze to flip through different applications albeit a slight lag when it comes to loading time.

Connectivity

The INQMobile Mini comes with integrated access to Facebook, Twitter, Windows Live Messenger.. probably some of the most used social tools on the web. At the touch of a button, you’re in touch with your contacts. But here’s where the OS goes slightly deeper, your address book is pretty much sync-ed to your Facebook account, so you’ll be able to read status updates from your address book.

I will admit I haven’t had that much time to port everything over, or try it myself, but the demo by the INQ Mobile staff at the event did a live demo, and that was pretty impressive, some of the complexity that lies beneath the supposed simplicity.

The last thing I did before returning the phone, was download a music track from the AMPed store. For this, I just clicked on the AMPed application and proceeded to scour through the music library. Now, I’m not much of a mainstream music fan, but I was quite surprised to find Athlete. Still, I guess they’re signed to a major label, so that makes sense. Anyhow, you just use the curser, click ‘buy’ go through a few more steps and you have a new song on your mobile. Pretty easy I reckon, even though I download my music the old skool way.

Overall, it’s a well designed phone with plenty of good ideas to capture a market that’s ready to stay connected. It’s no iPhone, but I don’t think that’s the point. I’m expecting a much more affordable price point that appeal to people who don’t like the iPhones and wished their phones could do more than just call and SMS. In that regard, it’s a top player.

Pros

- Good size

- Nice buttons

- Great connectivity for its class

Cons

- slightly laggish

INQMobile Roadshows!

The provider for INQMobile is Singtel , and they’re launching the INQ Mobile Mini at a roadshow from Saturday to Monday (19 – 21 September 2009) at Ngee Ann City. Details here (links to Facebook event).

You can win yourself an INQMobile Mini mobile phone by simply going down to the Pop-up store on any of the 3 days, and take part in a lucky draw. Simply state that you’re a supporter of harmless?bananas! and they’ll announce a winner at 6pm every day!

I’ll probably be going down on Sunday from 4pm – 6pm to hang out at a special blogger area. Don’t really know what to expect, but if you wanna come and chillax with me, lemme know! Get me on Twitter at @litford! Look out for details there too!

Details

Where: Ngee Ann City

When: 19 – 21 September 2009

Extra: I’ll be there, 20th September 2009 (Sunday), 4pm – 6pm to hang out!

No comments:

Post a Comment